Tuesday, December 07, 2004

 

Alexander The Great - Whaddaya think??

The first time I heard Colin Farrell was gonna play Alexander I was like "Hmmm... Sesuai ke?? And what?? Blond?? Oh my gawdd!!! Sah2 buruks!!" I think Colin Farrell is one sexy guy but I don't think he looks good as a blonde lah. Tak sesuai.

Nevertheless, I went to the cinema with no inhibitions, hoping that Farrell will prove me wrong. But... Yikes!! Bad dye job!!! Who was the hair artiste in charge?? I could see his roots and his eyebrows were still dark!!

I thought Alexander speaking with an Irish accent was really weird. The rest were speaking with English accents. Oh dear... Angelina Jolie pulak cakap in Transylvannian/Dracula-ish accent! :)

I get the fact that Oliver Stone wanted to focus on Alexander’s relationship with his parents and Hephaistion. I am all for the director delving deeper into the hearts/minds of the protagonist. However, he kinda downplayed Alexander’s military feats. The movie didn’t s show his greatness, it was narrated! I felt robbed! :)
To make matters worse, it was narrated by an old Ptolemy who was rambling and mumbling (sbb org tua kan) so it becomes tiresome and really - what a waste of reel time!

The battle were kinda tame too. It was kinda hard to know what was happening - but I guess that’s partly due to all the desert sand covering the screen. So boleh dimaafkan ler that part. The repetitious shots of eagles swooping down over the battle scene reminded me of Matrix Revolutions fight scene between Neo and countless Agent Smiths. Boringgg... Sekali dua cukup ler. Not again and again, hehe. And what’s with the freeze frame shots of Emperor Darius again and again?? Battlescene pep talk was so erm.. unconvincing. I was squirming in my seat! Also found the score pretty uninspiring. The constant hammering of timbre-like sounds during the Gaugamela battle annoyed me. I guess Peter Jackson has taken all the epic/battlescene mojo! Btw, bila la nak keluar ROTK : Extended DVD Version ni. Can't wait! I hope there's more footage on Faramir! :)

Did I like anything about the movie? Of course le ada but they were outweighed by the dislikes. I liked the reddish tint/filter used for the background during the battle at India after Alexander was hit. However, I probably felt more for the dead Bucephalous, haha. That’s a worrying sign, when you felt more for the horse! :)

Not to say I was not rooting for Alexander, I was! I did! But didn't feel for him the way I felt for Hector in Troy. (Eric Bana.. Phwoarrrr!!!) Masa dia mati tu... dah tak nak tgk dah the movie, hehe. I also felt more for Achilles-Briseis than Alexander-Hephaistion. I guess cos there was not enough on Alexander-Hephaistion to go on. I wanted more!! Tiba2 si Bagoas lak enter frame. Potong steam betul aaa!!! Hehehe...

And gosh, Rosario Dawson really looked scary as Roxane!! If she was indeed going for the barbarian look, she certainly got it down pat! She looked so sweet in 'The 25th Hour" (An excellent movie starring Ed Norton who I think is just fabulous!!!).

Overall, I think Stone should’ve put more focus on Alexander's military genius. By focusing more about his relationship with his father, mom and Hephaistion (and Bagoas) Stone's Alexander came across more as a sad-eyed sensitive, idealistic pretty boy with a penchant for wine. He should’ve also come across as bold, fearless, arrogant & mad.

I came out of the movies feeling disappointed. Thank god for 'The Incredibles' huh? That's still the best movie I've recently seen. Wasn't that fun?!! When Incrediboy appeared onscreen my friend and I were laughing so hard. Especially when she exclaimed "Oh my gawwd!! Superstalker!!" :)

My fave character was 'E' - the superhero costume designer. The way she moved was sooo cute! Being such a short person with short legs, she walked doubly fast. And her quotes!!! Hillarious. Kudos to Brad Bird for such a great job doing her voice.

A few of E's memorable lines:

"No capes!"

"Supermodels. Hah! Nothing "super" about them - stupid little stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves. Feh! I used to design for GODS!"

Edna 'E' Mode: You need a new suit, that much is certain.
Mr Incredible: A new suit? Where the heck am I gonna get a new suit?
Edna 'E' Mode: You can't! It's impossible! I'm far too busy - so ask me now before I become sane.
Mr Incredible: You want to make me a suit?
Edna 'E' Mode: You push too hard, darling! But I accept!

P/S: Saw 'SH3' semalam (http://www.sh3movie.com). Not bad lah.. Ashraf Sinclair is quite a looker. The silent sensitive type role suits him well. Darling Ngasri did a good job and so did Farah Fauzana. Tomboy habis!! Siapa yg minat Ruffedge and VE, they are featured in this film quite a lot, esp Amer and Zain. Puas hati dapat tgk Amer Munawer lotsa time! :)



<< Home